You’ve got a relatively new A/C system and you’ve made sure your duct work is on point so, why is your house stuck at 78 °?
August, aka the Sunday of Summer, always gives the misleading feeling that fall (and the cooler temperatures that come with it) is just around the corner. However, it’s always darkest before the dawn. Or, in this case, warmest before the season changes.
Would it surprise you to learn that during this month we get A LOT of calls from past and current clients requesting maintenance or repairs because their A/C system just can’t keep up?
They’ve had it set to 69 ° all day and for some reason it just won’t go below 75 °!
Moment of Truth
The pure and simple truth is that a 20-degree difference from the temperature outside will be the all-time LOWEST standard temperature for ANY A/C unit ANY time of year.
There’s no avoiding it.
That means, if it’s 97 ° outside your unit will not be able to cool your home anything under 77 ° without incurring long-term damages. It’s just a fact.
We get it though. Some days it’s completely unbearable and as we mentioned before, it’s going to get hotter before it gets cool.
So, what can you do to cool down your home even more when your A/C unit hits it’s limit?
5 Ways to Chill When Your System Has Hit the Limit
There’s only so much work your system can do before the task starts to effect the integrity of your machine.
We know you need to stay cool, so we’ve come up with 5 ways to bump down the temperature in your home (that will cost FAR LESS than having to replace your A/C system from pushing it too hard)!
- 1.) Invest in and take full advantage of window shades and blackout curtains – Windows occupy about one-fifth of your home’s surface area and gain more heat per square foot of area in Summertime than any other surface in your home.*
- 2.) Create a man-made sea breeze – Do you have a fan and some ice cubes? Then you’re golden! Simply fill a large bowl with ice and place it in front of the fan. Turn the fan on and bask in the cool breeze flecked with bits of moisture – You’ll be transported to a more comfortable climate, instantly!
- 3.) Hack a Ceiling Fan – Make sure to set your ceiling fans to counter-clockwise at a high speed and it will create a more chill/breezy affect.
- 4.) Open and Close Doors – During the day you’ll want to close off any rooms that aren’t being utilized to keep the cool designated to the area you’re spending the most time in. At night, just the opposite. Let the cool air flow throughout the house and reach the rooms that were shut during the day.
- 5.) Keep Your Body Cool – Drink cold liquids, dip your feet in a pool or run a cold mini bath, use a cold compress, choose your clothing wisely, etc…
- 6.) BONUS! Upgrade, Repair, or Replace Your A/C System – If your system is having trouble keeping up with a temperature difference that’s 19 ° or less, it may be time to think about replacing your unit.
Pop on over to our quiz to find out if your system is going to get your through Saints Season then, give us a call at (985)235-9945!
We’ll be more than happy to come out and see just how we can help. Especially over these next few months, don’t sweat. Your smile is our guarantee!