Hurricane season in Southern Louisiana has a bad reputation for really shaking things up. Nobody wants to think about that moment when a mere thunderstorm turns into a tropical storm or worse, a hurricane but the fact of the matter is – it happens.
In fact, we at Three Rivers Services plan month in advance for that “just in case” moment and we’re full committed to making sure our “extended family” (aka our customers) are equally prepared.
We want you to be able to get back up and running as quickly as possible after any unfortunate event. That’s we’ve put together a list of the top 20 things you can do to prepare for any foreseeable inclement weather!
Three Rivers’ Storm Prep Checklist
If you don’t already have some of the following items, there’s no time like the present to purchase and prepare!
- 1.) Pack a basic to-go bag that includes clothing and the essentials for a few days.
- 2.) Pull cash (ATM/credit card machines may not be in working order after the storm).
- 3.) Gather important documents in a file (social security cards, mortgage contracts, insurance information and all A/C system warranty info.) and store in a waterproof bag or container.
- 4.) Gather two weeks worth of any prescription medication and store within a clearly labeled container or ziplock bag.
- 5.) 72 hours worth of food and water (canned goods higher in calories).
- 6.) Prepare ice chests and other storage containers you may have.
- 7.) A battery powered radio and extra batteries.
- 8.) Flashlights, candles, matches, lanterns and other alternative sources of light
- 9.) Personal hygiene/sanitary items and cleaning supplies.
- 10.) Extra keys to your home and vehicles.
- 11.) Pet items: food & water, medicine, leashes, and any important documents.
- 12.) EXTRA BATTERIES – get these early before they fly off the shelves!
- 13.) Basic First Aid kit including allergy medication
- 14.) MOSQUITO REPELLENT
- 15.) Prescription glasses, backup glasses, and extra contact lenses.
- 16.) Prepare your home by boarding/locking windows and doors, anchoring outdoor items and gettings sandbags or plywood.
- 17.) Fill bathtub with water – You can boil it for drinking water or use it to help flush toilets.
- 18.) Save important phone numbers somewhere you’ll be able to access them should your phone be damaged or dead – energy company, emergency numbers, family/friends.
- 19.) Plug A/C unit into a surge protector to prevent it from being “fried” (Give unit 10 minutes to turn on if power goes out – they’re programmed on a delay)
- 20.) Turn off utilities if you have to evacuate – turn A/C unit up to 78 degrees.
- 21.) Take photos and video of your home and belongings for insurance.
- 22.) Consider a generator if you don’t already have one.
- 23.) Have an evacuation plan and location – Know all routes!
Don’t Sweat! Your Smile is Our Guarantee
Whether it’s a major hurricane, Louisiana heat, or a power outage from a winter cold front, we are proud to keep you, our “extended family”, happy and safe.
Three Rivers Heating and Air has been meeting the air conditioning needs of families and businesses on the North Shore for more than 35 years. We offer service on time and make your smile our guarantee!
We are also members of the St. Tammany Chamber of Commerce, Better Business Bureau, North Shore Rising Professionals and Professional Women of St. Tammany.
We have received Trane’s “Distinguished Dealer” Award 4 years in a row and are the only Trane Certified Comfort Specialist in the Mandeville / Covington area.
Contact us today for your next air conditioning system maintenance, repair or installation!