Heating your home during the winter months can be costly and can financially burden already struggling families. Even in Louisiana, our wild winter weather means that our furnaces AND our AC units may be running off and on throughout the winter months. In addition, the intense humidity in Louisiana can make heating your home even more challenging.
When it comes to heating your home, however, there are some mistakes that could cost you significantly. Avoiding common heating mistakes is key to keeping your home comfortable without emptying your wallet in the process.
Avoid These Common Heating Mistakes
Before you go through another winter in Louisiana, consider purchasing and installing a programmable smart thermostat. This can improve your home’s efficiency right from the start and it makes heating your home as easy as pushing a button on your smart device.
However, if purchasing a smart thermostat isn’t in your plans, you can still improve your home’s energy efficiency by avoiding these common heating mistakes.
- Jacking Up Your Thermostat – setting your thermostat too high can force your furnace to run constantly, especially in cold weather. Leaving your thermostat set at a high temperature throughout the day, even when you aren’t home, will result in a higher utility bill and place extra burdens on your furnace.
- Keeping Thermostat too Low – while lowering your thermostat is a good idea, especially when you’re not there, setting your thermostat too low will cause your furnace to work even harder when it comes back on. Instead, try making small adjustments to your thermostat. Even small adjustments can save you money on your heating bill.
- Forgetting About Your Air Filter – homeowners should change their air filters every 3 months to improve your air quality and increase efficiency. This in turn will extend the life of your furnace and help you save money.
- Avoiding Furnace Maintenance – every year your furnace should be serviced to ensure that it is running at optimal performance when cold weather strikes. This can improve the efficiency of your unit and make sure that you save money during the winter months.
- Closing Vents and Doors – many homeowners mistakenly believe that they should close vents or close doors to rooms they’re not wishing to heat. Instead, open the doors and vents in your home to allow the warm air to circulate better and maintain a consistent warm temperature.
- Blocking the Light – sunny days can help heat up your home if you don’t block the light. When the sun is out, consider opening your blinds and curtains to let the natural light warm up the room. This will help reduce the amount of work your furnace has to do to keep your home comfortable.
Heating Louisiana Homes Since 1979
At Three Rivers Services, we have been a leader in heating Northshore homes and businesses since 1979. We are dedicated to helping our clients maximize the comfort and health in their homes and it shows. We know that your home is important to you. As such, we can help you heat and cool that home better, saving you money along the way.
If you’re looking to service your furnace, repair your HVAC unit, install a smart thermostat, or purchase a tankless water heater, we can help. Our trained technicians are ready to help you stay warm and toasty this winter and every winter thereafter.
To learn more about our heating and cooling services throughout the Northshore, including Slidell, Hammond, Mandeville, and Covington, call Three Rivers Services at (985) 892-7071 today.