Coronavirus is spreading quickly and is now here in St. Tammany Parish. With some people appearing to overreact, others appearing to underreact, it’s hard to know what to think. Here at Three Rivers Services we want to make sure that you have the most ACCURATE information to help keep you and your family safe!
About the virus:
- As of this writing on March 12, over 1,500 people in the United States have been confirmed to have COVID-19 (the name of the illness the SARS-CoV-2 virus causes.
- These numbers are likely to rapidly increase with more widespread and accurate testing available.
- Based on current research, it appears that 80% of individuals who get COVID-19 have mild symptoms (flu-like symptoms) and fully recover.
- At least 40 people have died in the US due to the illness. The highest risk of death is for patients who are over age 80 years. However, anyone age 60 or older, especially those with pre-existing health conditions such as lung disease, compromised immune systems, heart disease, diabetes, or high blood pressure are more likely to contract the disease.
- For people in the highest risk group, those over age 80, the rate of contracting serious COVID-19 is thought to be less than 16%. In critical cases, the disease leads to pneumonia, heart failure, or organ failure.
- No one under age 9 has contracted the disease.
- Mild cases last about 2 weeks and severe or critical cases last about 3-6 weeks, with the disease becoming severe in approximately 1 week (if it does become severe).
Symptoms to look for:
- The three main symptoms to look for are fever, cough, and difficulty breathing.
- If you have a runny nose, sneezing, or sore throat, you most likely do not have COVID-19! Most likely you have a cold and remember, there is still a risk of flu in many areas.
- Some people do not show any symptoms but can still transmit the disease.
- The typical progression is developing a fever, followed by a dry cough, and then about a week later, difficulty breathing.
- Travel unnecessarily! The CDC recommended that people at higher risk of severe COVID-19 avoid cruise travel and non-essential air travel.
- Touch other people! Use elbow bumps instead of high fives and no hugging or side-cheek kissing.
- Cough without covering your mouth completely! If you use your arm, use your entire inner elbow.
- Wear a face mask if you are NOT infected because the disease can still be transmitted through your eyes.
- Wash your hands! Thoroughly and frequently!
- Avoid touching your face! Although we all tend to do this a LOT, it is one of the main sources of illness transmission.
- Use hand sanitizers and antibiotic wipes, with the wipes used on EVERYTHING (door handles, phones, shopping carts, etc)!
- Use social distancing, meaning try to keep at least SIX feet between you and other people.
- Wear face masks if you ARE infected! Masks won’t prevent you from CATCHING COVID-19 but they can prevent you from TRANSMITTING the virus.
- Use Trane CleanEffects filter in your home!
That’s right. As we mentioned here, Trane CleanEffects is a hospital grade air filter system that filters out 99% of airborne particles. But what we didn’t mention is that a 2008 study found that the Trane CleanEffects filters out 99% of influenza virus and a 2018 study found that influenza is spread through HVAC systems! That means that if you become sick and isolate yourself, your family doesn’t have to worry about also catching the disease.
We here at Three Rivers Services pride ourselves on providing factual information to help people make the most informed decisions. We hope this current information has helped!